Where would starvation fall under in the juvenile mortality pie chart? Or is that something r-selected species don’t typically go through.
Fantastic post, I’ll be looking forward to the next one about insects as a cause area. I suggest researching the effects of buying beef to reduce springtail and nematode populations on grazing lands. See this post and this one as well. I could also pm you my spreadsheet that tried to compare it to other causes to give you a starting point.
Watching cricket makes you a better altruist
Off-topic but what do broiler chicken campaigns look like typically? I know for hens it’s cage-free, is it just more space per chicken for broilers?
If you make the definition of EA “anyone who donates to an EA charity” then the movement is much bigger, there’s more than 20K people in the world donating to effective charities. The Humane League alone has 1.1M followers on facebook, assuming only 200K of those donate, that’s still the same as the double every year number. I’d say anyone that donates would be considered an EA in my book, even if they don’t self-identify as one.
I think it’s cause of the cheese line. Most of us here are vegans and we don’t like hearing that kind of thing.
I could still see a sizable impact coming from the consumer skipping a meal of chicken that they otherwise would have ate and substituting it with beyond meat. It doesn’t have to be an exact substitute.
Donating is much more effective than the increase in demand though, especially when you consider the elasticity factor. So in that case you should just buy whatever food is cheaper and donate the excess, tofu is about 3x cheaper ($2 per pound) vs grass-fed beef ($6 per pound). I guess if you truly hate tofu you could have an excuse but there’s always soy sauce to make it tastier.
Also worth noting that aeration of the water has many economic incentives (preventing die offs) to it so there’s a good chance that fish aren’t suffering from low oxygen levels.
Fair point. Also this model gives a very similar number too, if you take the median of the −6, 13 estimate (3.5).
ACE charities are also super cost-effective (15 chickens spared per dollar or so) so if you can hold yourself to a deal like “I’m gonna eat steak tonight but promise to donate $1 to The Humane League after”, you just did a lot more good than bad, at least in expected value.
The first impression though is that animal charities should be accepted as more effective until proven otherwise by some large positive AMF flow-through effect that outweighs saving a life (maybe reducing insect populations?) Until then it seems much more straightforward to donate to ACE charities, specifically the cage-free ones.
Utilitarianism is probably the biggest one
Good catch, I also don’t think the welfare improvement would be anywhere near a cage-free campaign, especially after reading that economic incentives part of your post. Unless you think the slaughter is really really bad, this probably isn’t a worthy cause area.
> How cost-effective could they be compared to other animal welfare interventions?
This is a hard one, but I’ll take a (crude) stab at it. Currently the best charity working on fish welfare is Albert Schweitzer (ace top charity). This 2016 guesstimate model of Albert Schweitzer shows a figure of 57 animals spared per dollar, but ~75% of these are chicks being spared from debeaking, which I think is too easy of a policy to implement compared to the oxygen/food problems that arise with fish welfare. The other 25% are cage-free hens which is probably closer to what we’re dealing with here, so I’ll assume it’s 14 animals per $. Albert Schweitzer chiefly works in Germany, where 34 million laying hens are killed annually, of which ~1 million were spared, or 3%. Before factoring in for the 10% welfare increase, this is 11 million hens annually that are cage-free because of them.
According to this graph, german fish production totals 313,000 metric tons per year, or about ~400 million Alaskan pollocks (most popular fish). With all the same variables as the hen campaign, that’s 4e8*.33*.1*5.5 (years of impact) = 7.3e7 or 73 million Pollocks spared over the course of 5 years. Assuming a a fish has the same worth of a chicken (less neurons but they also endure suffering for much longer on farms), that’s 73⁄11 = 6.6*14 = 92 fish spared per $. This pretty much blows every other animal charity out of the water (heh).
The dissolved oxygen comes from the nitrogen spike when overfeeding the fish, correct?
True, I still believe that making a toy model with made-up numbers is still better than not doing it at all.